Thursday, September 15, 2011

in my favor/not in my favor?

So, there I was 5'8" 185 lbs, and ready to be the best fullback and linebacker the Xaverian freshman football team has even seen. I mean, c'mon, I was 185 and a freshman in High School! I remember leading up to that summer, I was told to eat all that I could and that it would eventually spread out and turn into muscle. Again, I was 5'8" 185 and a freshman in High School!

In all seriousness, I worked really hard that summer. I ran everyday, lifted with the varsity squad, and committed myself to being the best I could. I truly wanted to be the starting fullback and linebacker. I thought it was mine. I showed up to the first day of camp, and my head was big. I thought I was the man. I had a cutoff shirt, new cleats, and I was ready to skip the freshman team, and go straight to varsity!

"Nelson, go join the line." Me, "Huh?" Coach, "Go join the line, we need you down there" Me, "Dammit." Thoughts in my head, "Am I fat? Am I too slow? Where did I mess up?" Coach, "Nelson, get your ass down there." Me, "Yes, Coach." I saw myself as the starting running back. Coach saw me as a guard.

Outcome: in my favor/not in my favor?

Fast-forward - Senior year, I came a long way from my o-line spot. I came into the year captain, and starting fullback/linebacker. Just like I planned!! And due to an unfortunate injury, I was forced to become the tailback, and had a lot of fun doing it. I mean, I was in the papers, people thought I was cool, I thought I was cool...even girls thought I was cool*.

I remember that whole season came down to one game, and as it was, one play. We were the #1 team in the state, they were #2 team in the state, and oh by the way, I was an awesome running back. Here we were, last game, conference championship, berth to the playoffs....we're all tied....3 seconds to go...it's the other team's ball...they snap the ball....he launches the ball to the end-zone.....he catches the ball...he spikes the ball...did I mention I was a pretty sweet running back?

Fast-forward - Back to square 1. There I was, I came to Lafayette ready to go, and our first practice is underway. Coach, "Nelson, head to the practice squad" Me, "Huh?" Coach, "Did I studder, go to the practice squad, and put on this practice squad jersey." What I was thinking, "Coach, don't you know I was an All-State, MVP, running back for one of the top schools in the state?" What I actually said, "Ok."

Outcome: in my favor/not in my favor?

Fast-forward - Just as I planned, starting fullback, and just got elected captain before the spring practices began! I am the man! And, we just came off of a Championship season, so everyone's feeling good. Summer is here now. Time to head home for one last weekend before Summer workouts begin.

Outcome: in my favor/not in my favor?

That weekend - I get stabbed. I die. I get brought back to life.

Outcome: in my favor/not in my favor?

Fast-forward - Graduate college. I need a job.....I have an idea, I'll start a company!! Yea, that's what I'll do. Work for someone else, who needs that. I'm my own damn boss. Insert: Tenacious Painting, LLC - Commercial and Residential Painting Services. 'Perfection, Passionate...Painting' was our slogan.....how cool? We're going to be the best Eastern Massachusetts has ever seen. I bought all of the goods: New Truck, Signs, Shirts, Ladders, Tools, etc., etc......Who invited the meat-head the painting party?......6 months later me to friend, "Are you guys hiring?"

Outcome: in my favor/not in my favor?

Fast-forward - 3 years at this place, and I am ready to make a change. I was a top producer, but man, was my boss a prick. They promised me the world, but I saw none of it. What the hell? Time to switch jobs.

Outcome: in my favor/not in my favor?

Fast-forward - Just got home from a Euro trip. Visit my brother, "Dave, I can't feel my arm." Me, "Dude, you have to get that checked out. It could be serious." Brother, "Yea, well I'll just keep my eye on it." Next day, my brother went to the hospital to find out he had terminal cancer, and his brain was covered in tumors.

Outcome: in my favor/not in my favor?

Fast-forward - My brother passes. I miss him. He gives me strength.

Outcome: in my favor/not in my favor?

Fast-forward - Right now. I pour out my social thoughts onto a blog, because I have a deep passion for people and how we interact. People are reading this? I have a beautiful wife, who is full of life, and deeply concerned with human health (we've just completed our 3rd year of Triathlons, and this year, we did our 1st half-ironman). My faith is my backbone, and my compassion and understanding of people and of life continues to grow everyday. I have a pretty cool full-time job, and want nothing more than Hey Nelly to be successful. Wait, I started a website?

Outcome: in my favor/not in my favor?

Everything leads to a single moment in time, and if you allow it to shape who you are, you will find that everything is done in your favor. That, though, is up to you to choose.

*Not many

No comments:

Post a Comment