Wednesday, October 12, 2011

don't you get it, it's my birthday....mom and dad

Does anyone actually remember coming into the world?

Your first tears, or your very first meal? Anyone?

I don't (that would be a little weird if I did).......but my mom does......and so does my dad.

I've always been so proud of my parents (wait, can't parents only be proud of their kids, does it work the other way....I guess so!) Let's start with my dad.

I don't know about you, but my dad's my hero. I remember when he taught me how to swing a baseball bat, throw my first pitch, or put on my first pair of shoulder pads. But more than that, I always admired how he lived/lives his life. Growing up, he was 1 of 9, and had 7 sisters. Their house was about the size of my garage. He was an all-state wrestler in Chicago, and Special Forces in the Marines (I always have fun telling people this, because it makes me feel like GI Joe is my dad.....if you're a guy, that's a pretty cool thing.) Pretty standard Irish Catholic family, however my Dad was/is determined to make something of himself. Those were the days when their moms and dads were working 7 days a week to support huge families, so a lot of his upbringing was to his own devices. How many of us would be able to raise ourselves, in essence? Not many. He persevered, went on to graduate college after Vietnam, and rode his way up the corporate ladder, while getting his MBA from one of the best University's in the world.....while fathering 5 children (yes, I am one of them), and working a full-time job.....I know, he's a badass. From there, he moved us out east, and joined a very well-known store/pharmacy (starts with a C), taking them from a mom and pop, to one of the most recognizable stores across the country....all while being my best friend, and mentor (I talk about Chris a lot, but Chris got it from my dad). He would then retire, and is now a Deacon. You may ask yourself, how does one go from being in Special Forces, to Corporate Executive to Deacon? Simple...he is a leader, who looks to maximize his every waking moment, while contributing everything he can to making a difference for his family, and the one's around him. He's also taught me how to be a man, and to believe in who I am. We talk all the time, about everything. Love, marriage, spirituality, the world, family, how to be a dad, sports, business...you name it, we talk about it. He's taught me how to be open with my thoughts, and how to challenge myself to become a better man. I'm pretty lucky to have someone like this to follow...to give sound advice to me based off of experience, trials and tribulations. He's so dedicated to my family and me, and lives with passion everyday. Talk about wild at heart....that's my dad.

Mom....full of tender love. Mom's have such deep love for their children, especially mine. My mom is a good ol' midwestern gal from Chicago. Born a Cubs fan, and loved the Bears. When I was a kid, my mom was so selfless.....I mean, my God, she had 5 kids within 7 years....don't see that much these days. She was tough, too. She always wanted the best of us, and made sure we were active in sports, school and faith. My mom's deep dedication to us taught me what it meant to be loving, and supportive, and faithful, and trusting....it wasn't easy being a mom of 5, but she hung in there, with grace, strength, hope and love....my mom never quit....and I can tell you right now, there's plenty of times if I were her, I would think about quitting.....but she didn't. I remember every holiday, she would make the house so warm. In fact, when I was a kid, fall was my favorite time. This time of year, my mom would hang up Halloween pictures all around the house because it brought her kids so much joy. Or for Christmas, make the house so festive that I couldn't wait to get home from school just to hangout (you know you did the same thing). Mom made home...home. As a guy, your natural tendency is to breakaway from mom eventually, and become a man...those years were tough for mom...though, because of her, as we became men, we were better for it because of her. I'm lucky to have a mom who loves so deeply, and though she's been through more than any of us can ever imagine, she still cares so deeply, and so gracefully.......the same way, when I first came into the world...the day I was born.

...it's my birthday in a couple of days...but really, Mom and Dad, my birthday is nothing without you. It's not the day where I selfishly claim to the world that "don't you get it, it's my birthday!!! Tag me, tag me, tag me", but rather, now, I am reminded of the day you BROUGHT me into the world....the same mom and dad team who cared and loved for me unconditionally....before I could remember.....the same way you do to this day.

So, happy birthday, Mom and Dad....today is really about you, and the complete selflessness it took, to make me who I am today. Thank you, and I love you.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Yep, it's good ole AJ again, following your every word....and constantly amazed and enlightened. Your amazing mom is my only sister and your dad is my longest running and most
    cherished brother in law. And yep, you most
    certainly hit the jack pot with both of your
    parents! Your are blessed and deservedly. Big hugs and happy birthday to you with all my love, AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dave,
    It is Wed. afternoon. The house is peacefull and it is a cosy day with a fall overcast outside. We happened to come about your letter to us and we are moved to tears.
    Your heartfelt affection and memories fill our hearts with joy and gratitude.
    The journey in this life as a family bore many thorns along the way. However, it is by these thorns that the sweet essence of love and spiritual grace remain as perennial as the seasons.
    We our immeasurably blessed with the birth of our children. And Dave, you have grown to be a good man. A man with deep convictions of faith and moral integrity. WE celebrate the day your were born!!!!!
    All our love,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete