Tuesday, October 4, 2011

men, we're wild at heart

Just before heading into Senior year in college, I remember I had a shaved head, a beard, I weighed 235lbs, and scared girls off because I was such a meathead...but I didn't care...I was wildman, and it felt so right. We were heading into Spring practice, and each senior had the opportunity to get up and give a speech on why they wanted to be captain. Everyone gave inspirational talks...I had nothing planned, and quite frankly, didn't know what I was going to say, so I just rolled with it. In rolling with it, I let my heart free...I realized any canned speech wasn't going to do, so I was just going to speak what I felt.

Something to this effect, "I will lead you into fucking battle. I am the machine gunner on top of the jeep, exposed, foaming at the mouth for anyone crazy enough to take us on. To take me on. I will not quit until we hold that trophy high, and are stomping up and down on Lehigh's field. I am your fucking machine gunner, ready to lay everything I have down for you. Are you with me?"

I was elected captain, maybe in part because of this weird speech....but it felt so right. I felt wild at heart, and it made me feel alive. My team made me feel alive. We were cavaliers on the run, men without a cause, warriors ready to do whatever it took to defeat their opponent. Have you ever thought why things like football, baseball, hockey, rugby, or any other sport, makes us men feel alive? Because it taps into what our hearts truly desire. As John Eldridge puts in his Book "Wild at Heart", a man's heart seeks 3 things: A battle to fight, An Adventure to Live, and a Beauty to Rescue......again, A battle to fight, An Adventure to Live, and a Beauty to Rescue...sounds about right.

A battle to fight. This also means, something to live for....and to passionately live for, to the point that you believe in it to your core, that nothing can sway this, or get in the way of it...purpose, meaning...sound familiar? We need challenge. We need obstacles. We need failures to get past. We need to win. We thrive on the verge of failure everyday. You ever think about that? When I played football, we were always on the verge of losing. When paying my mortgage got tough a couple of years ago, I was always on the verge of losing my house. Follow me on this...this doesn't mean I was a loser,  but the battle to fight inside of me and/or my teammates was so strong, so alive, that losing did not become an option. This makes us men. Physically, emotionally, physiologically, this makes us men. When we lose, why do we feel so bad? Because we're made to win. Always. Now, when I wake up every morning, I reflect on what my battle to fight is. Be more balanced? Grow deeper in my faith? Achieve meaningful, purposeful, fulfilling things? What are those things? How will I get there? Am I on way now? No? Why not? You see, this is the male mind. We need a battle to fight...good, bad, or indifferent. That said, as a man, the battle is up to you to fight, and what that battle is makes a big difference.

What is your battle to fight? Is it making a positive difference?

An Adventure to Live. God I love this one. An Adventure to Live. What a contrast to how most of us men are really living our lives. You know, you were made for this....truly, you were. We take this for granted. Take a moment to reflect what men have accomplished (and women) who chose to have an adventure to live. This means, letting go...releasing....moving past assumptions, or what others think is right and wrong. It's about creating your path, your own legacy. How many times have you been told, "oooo, that's risky." Or, "Don't be a fool, get your education, get a job, get a home". I'm typing on a computer someone was crazy enough to dream up. Or on a website, some person decided they were going to run with. Or how about living in America. We had some old Yankees fight off the powerful British because they finally had enough, let go, and from there America was born. America...like it or not, and it sucks at the moment, the core of our country was built by men who had an adventure to live, and try to expand beyond their current situation. I vow to have an adventure to live...it makes life worth living...strange isn't, it makes life worth living....as a man. I will try new things, blaze paths I believe are right, and live looking back with no regrets. (As a side exercise, take a moment, and pretend you're an 80 year-old man or woman. Now, pretend you're sitting at your front porch, looking back on your life. What do you see? Do you like what you see? Do you have any regrets? Anything you wish you did or tried, but now it's too late? Think about this everyday). I will throw aside my assumptions, and try new things, and will not wait until it's too late.

What's your adventure to live? Do you have many assumptions holding you back?

A beauty to rescue. My beautiful wife, Jenna. I will do anything for her, and for our family. I will hunt and gather, and put my life on the line to keep them safe and happy. Before I had Jenna, I didn't realize this, but having a beauty to rescue gives man some of his deepest meaning. I am meant to protect the beauty and sanctity of my family, and anyone who comes in the way of that, violates man at his deepest level. Some men even get mad if another man is simply talking to his beauty. Sound familiar? This gives us meaning. But, it's hard to find. I consider myself a lucky man. Having a beauty to rescue makes up 1/3 of why I exist. Not having that, makes men only 2/3 man. That said, a beauty doesn't just accept any man, a beauty accepts a man who has the first two things down. They want a man, a strong, masculine man, who is not afraid to live life, and will fight with all of his might for what he believes in. Is that you?

Men, we're wild at heart. We're required to be these things, yet, life finds a way to castrate men...leaving them meaningless, with nothing to fight for, no adventure to hang his hat on, and not a beauty in the world who will look twice at him.

A great philosopher once said, "All men die, few actually live."

Embrace who you are....as a man....wild at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment